Tuesday, 10 November 2009

One step forward and three steps back

As you will know L-lot has been suffering with a thickened tendon for about 5 or 6 weeks after doing some free schooling in the Manege (I think it was from that although can't be sure as I found the swelling a day or so after the session). We had the vet out and he had nearly 4 weeks box rest and cortisone gel applied twice daily for 10 days. He had a course of bute and of course lots of hosing. The vet said that it was inflammation of the tendon sheath and not the tendon damaged. Dunno how he knew that though because he never scanned it. I couldn't get my usual vet out and so had to have the crap vet but he was very efficient and seemed to know what he was doing.
He has only ever been very slightly lame on it.

It has got progressively better although on the odd days it does seem a bit thicker but I am so paranoid about it I am out there with a micrometer measuring it. Mostly there was very little heat in it just swelling.

I have been turning him out now in the daytime and he does have a buck and a fart but it still seemed to be doing well. I always bandage that leg when I turn him out.

Yesterday he came in from his turnout and I took the bandage off and his leg was absolutely brilliant. In fact it was the best I have seen it. Not a trace of thickness or heat.
I went out and hour later and I was just devastated. The leg was huge and really swollen all down the back of the cannon bone and really hot. He is not at all lame although I only trotted him up the lane about 30 metres and back.

I put a bag of frozen peas on it for 20 minutes and hosed it. This morning it is still the same.

I have phoned the good vet and he can't get up to me this week and so I have to take L-lot to him which is a 1 1/2 hour trip. Our appointment is Thursday at 4.30pm.

I am not sure how much good it will do him to do a 3 hour round trip but we don't have much choice really.

I am so depressed and worried about him. I couldn't sleep last night with worrying and when I did sleep had horrible nightmares about his prognosis. I can't put it into words but you can imagine how it ended.

I have phoned my farrier Pete and am hoping he can come today or tomorrow to see what he thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment